The mission of School Literacy and Culture (SLC) is to promote effective teaching through rigorous professional education initiatives that emphasize reading and writing, culture, child development and research. We invite you to explore our annual and custom program offerings to find where we can best assist you with your early childhood literacy needs.
- Classroom Storytelling - Yearlong mentored professional development
- Creative Writing Camp - Intensive summer writing program for K-12 students
- Critical Importance of Play - One day conference for early childhood teachers, administrators and parents
- Developing Oral Language in Young Children - yearlong program promoting oral language development in DLLs and English-speakers.
- Early Literacy Leadership Academy - A multiyear leadership certificate program for highly qualified early childhood classroom teachers
- Early Literacy Summit - One-day conference for K-1st teachers and parents
- Literacy and the Arts - Interactive seminars for K-12 teachers
- Parent and Teacher Workshops
- Reading, Writing and Reasoning - For teachers of 2nd to 5th grade, a “deep dive” into best practices in literacy education for 21st century learners
- Rice Oral & Written Language Laboratory (OWL Lab) - An ancillary classroom for pre-K students
- Summer Institute for Teachers - Week-long institute for early childhood teachers presenting current research on reading and writing practices.
- Writing Across the Curriculum - Summer Workshop for Pre-K-1st and 2nd-4th Teachers
- Writing and the Arts - Monthly meetings for K-12 writing teachers feature facilitated by professional artists
In addition to our standard programing, SLC offers customized professional development for schools and districts. Contact us to find out more about these opportunities.