Developing Oral Language in Young Children
This yearlong professional development program combines seminars at Rice University with co-teaching at the Rice Oral and Written Language Laboratory to introduce strategies to promote oral language development in DLLs and English-speakers. It is designed for experienced early childhood classroom teachers whose goal is to become more intentional in developing oral language skills in dual language learners, English language learners or children with limited language.
SLC requires completion of our application and interview process to identify candidates exhibiting potential for success.
A Sampling of Seminar Topics:
- Having extended conversations with children
- Characteristics of a language-rich classroom
- Bringing stories to life through drama
- Using real-life dramatic play scenarios as a tool to develop language
- Highlighting children’s interests and stories
- Theories of second language acquisition
- Addressing misconceptions about DLLs
- Nurturing relationships with children and families