Developing Oral Language in Young Children
This yearlong professional development program combines seminars at Rice University with co-teaching at the Rice Oral and Written Language Laboratory to introduce strategies to promote oral language development in DLLs and English-speakers. It is designed for experienced early childhood classroom teachers whose goal is to become more intentional in developing oral language skills in dual language learners, English language learners or children with limited language.
SLC requires completion of our application and interview process to identify candidates exhibiting potential for success.
A Sampling of Seminar Topics:
- Having extended conversations with children
- Supporting second language learning in the classroom
- Bringing stories to life through drama
- Highlighting children’s interests and stories
- Using real-life dramatic play scenarios as a tool to develop language
- Nurturing relationships with children and families
- Honoring parent voices in the classroom
- Addressing misconceptions about DLLs